Monday, February 15, 2010

PAINTING PLATES


Valentine's day was a fun evening...starting with the beet and tomato salad pictured here..I love the selection of beets one can purchase now in the markets. This salad was comprised of yellow,orange and red beets..but after they sat together in their juices they all appeared red.
I sprinkled a little apple vinegar on them with a generous pinch of sea salt. sliced a white onion paper thin and let the salad cool to room temperature. When I plated the salad I added halfed
baby tomatoes and scissor cut fresh basil strips onto the whole thing...then fresh ground pepper..A great start..


I have to admit to a collectors mania..PLATES are my jewelry or closet.. I rarely spend money or time on clothing even though I love textiles and was/am a textile designer for decades..It is the plate that lures me..I have found rare plates at junk stores,purchased pottery from potters..salvaged from the Goodwill..haunted tag and garage sales ,and greatly hinted for any occasion: a well halved gift would be plates..I guess they are my canvas..I have often thought about my infatuation with food and food prep and I think it is my emotional glue.. The immediate appreciation of the effort is rewarding but the chance to attack another empty canvas is probably more the accurate impetus..
Another TOMATO offering:
This dish was concocted several years ago when I discovered an entire box of cherry tomatoes I had forgotten about in the back of the fridge..(many a great meal is a result of such treasure hunts)
Pour a generous amount of olive oil into a flat casserole (about 1/8 cup)..place the tomatoes
singularly close to each other in one layer..Sprinkle herbs de Provence over the entire lot..salt and pepper... pierce each tomato with a pin to avoid popping....NOW BAKE in a moderate oven (325) for 2-3 hours until the tomatoes confit..Cool and use as a side relish for meats, eggs, or fish..one can alter the seasonings with fennel,curry..etc....

No comments:

Post a Comment