Thursday, February 18, 2010

SWEET TWEET


There is nothing like the calm and discovery of the details in a garden and I am certain this little chirp here has had its tour of many a verdant paradise..Would love to be able to fly..
Bird's eye view: and what a vantage point...The trumpet flower here is called Bella Dona .In the medieval times the flowers were ground up and fed to people's enemies..in small doses it can be used as medicine but in general it is not a recommended food source for either us or our feathered friend here. I planted this in the summer of l986. My gardener at the time was a mature man and very wise.We grafted 4 different colors together on the same mother trunk. The results some 22+ years later is magnificent..The Bella Dona gives off a heady perfume at night and helps to ward off mosquitoes. It must be trimmed back with abandon in the spring and fed.It also prospers from mid- summer pruning. ...which encourages thicker foliage and more blooms.





This past summer we had a renewal of bees in the area..I counted at one point 8 different varieties..from large black and yellow bumblebees to hornets,and several honey bees.This I was grateful for as there has been much talk around the world on the diminishing populous of the honey bees. I spent a good part of last winter studying the art of bee keeping thinking that if I installed a hive near my garden all would be well..Mother Nature provded another solution..I also do not spray my garden and try to use natural augmentation such as coffee gounds...whrred up culinary remnants in the blender...(bananas are a bonus for roses)... and tilling in any compost I can create..I could be GREENER and I am working on that..
Its Bean Weather and time for some good Italian Beans...
Soak an 8oz package of navy beans in cold water for 4-5 hours
Drain and rinse several times
Cover the beans in 3qt saucepan with water well over the bean line..add water as they cook
Simmer the beans for at least 1 hour..test with a small knife...some people like firm beans (me) and others prefer soft beans...
While the beans are cooking add a couple of broken bay leaves...do not add salt
Drain the beans and divide into 2 containers...One group you can use to make soup ..the other can be a meal..
I like to make up a simple tomato sauce with fennel seeds, chopped basil and some finely chopped onion..This I incorporate into the beans, adding salt, pepper and 2-3T butter. Do not over sauce the beans ..the sauce is for flavor not a bath..
These can be served as a meal with pecarino reggiano cheese and some steamed greens..
Add a glass of crisp cold white wine.....and you are flying.....



No comments:

Post a Comment