Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Health Care Bill needs a better bank

I am fortunate to have the priveledge of househelp every other week. My househelpers name is Fernanda. She is a woman my age who moved here from Portugal as a young bride with several of her family mambers. Prior to being introduced to her I did everything myself. We have a wonderful cross polination.She likes to go home to Portugal for 4 months every summer and we are absent those months to live in France : our life there..Both of us I know would feel enormously amputated if this could not be done on calm terms. Fernanda knows when she returns she will have the same job and family and we know she will be there for us .We have many small things to share each fall..Her family expands as new grandchildren keep coming into thier constellation. our family is growing outward and new wings..
This fall she arrived with serious health issues..I have been very concerned about her all winter. I find myself not wanting to leave her alone at the house when she is here.
Each visit she talks about tests and medicines and we discuss nutritional issues.I can see the
worry on her face.I can imagine the financial stress from all these medical visits..Fernanda worked as a seamstress for many years in NY before moving to Norwlk. Sometimes when I listen to her at her I am reminded my past employees . Before I closed my business I made sure my key employees had a trade so that they could make the transition with grace. We always gave our employees full coverage.
and wages far above the minimum rate plus a 2 month paid vacation every summer as I did not produce a fall collection..When we regrouped each fall we were collectively refreshed and ready to hit the treadmill.
I find the most wasted energy over this health bill is the ommision of addressing the individual..If the individual is at the mercy of the Insurance Companies then there really is no plan.. People should not have to be concerned with thier rates going up every year w/o cause or warning..Every person in the US should have the right to Medical Coverage: this is not a priveledge but a human right.. It is a CIVIL responsibility. So is education..The climbing tuition rates are unfair: a locked in price Freshman year for 5 year BA would be smart. We paid 20% more a year for our daughter's education..Our son is at UCDavis and is a shave away from the tuition increases next year. What about the families who can't afford these prices: thier children are slaves to loans for the rest of thier youth..Most colleges have very sound endowments and funds should be made more readily available..To survive as a Nation we need a stronger and carefully structured educated infra-structure..Sit-Com pablum is not the answer..nor is media blame throwing..
Our media is twisting the facts and the emotions of the msses to think otherwise..We ALL need to fight back for what we deserve; so that fear of health safety can be diminished... 35 years ago when I first moved to California I lived with a famiily named Mendoza in Baldwin Hills..Alex's mother died in the emergency waiting room, waiting to be admitted. ( 6 hours) I will never forget the raw sadness after her death which should have been avoided. I don't see the right to live as a Partisan decision. PASS on the word .. speak up..demand fair prices..vote for the person who will represent your values.. I am amazed how polititians can spin..........
Fun call from our son Hart last night on his way home from snowboarding in California..He was so high on nature..The strong winds had blown clear the high altitudes and he was snowboarding in perfection all day.I envy that kind of sport I have never had the inclination for speed: however I did love figure skating when I was younger. I remember well that glide and the cold climbing up my legs from the ice. There was a sense of flying when I spun..We used to ice over our backyard every winter in Spokane. The boys played hockey which made the ice uneven. I secretly wanted a zamboni..Our father and I usually prepared the ice each winter. He knew who was his second in command..I was always passed the unfinished projects.I can't complain . He helped to form a very efficient person.
A couple of Christmases ago we were invited to a party...A 90+ woman was there with her family.Her granddaughter attended college with another of the young girls..Her family was very intolerant of her as families often are when the end is evident ( a sad sign of fear and unpreparedness)..I sat down and talked with her for about an hour. I found her to be extremely lucid and fun..she was very curious and could hold her own on any topic. After several fertile mind switches she asked me the best question " if you could use one word to decribe yourself..what would it be?" I didn't even blink..I answered "problem solver"..Later I related the conversations to my family and asked them what they would have responded about me:
they responded with several variations of the same..
Good ? to ask oneself...
off to cook......Veal Stew ....Bay Leaf Tomato Sauce....Lobster Rissotto Sauce...
Promise to share tommorrow................... OH YUMMMMMMMMM
check out our daughters post on portersinger.com her music is so woonderful


1 comment:

  1. Pamela, this is a wonderful blog and even though we didn't meet this week as planned I feel now as though I have caught up on all that is new in your life...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete