Monday, January 25, 2010

Vignettes and Voices


The photo here is a vignette I snapped from our front entry hall..I found the drawing of this girl at the Goodwill and re-framed it, actually most of the plates on the hutch are from the Goodwill..tidbits from other people's lives..The hunt is always so rewarding..There are voices living in older items I feel ; animism..
I have been watching a growing trend of parents talking constantly on their mobiles when they are out with thier children: especially little ones. I can't help but wonder how this trains a child not to listen to any given voice.They are growing into an awareness that when their parents speak they are not necessarily speaking to them. I wonder if this doesn't play havoc with the "voice of reason"...after all children are not born with a dictionary of emotional and physical archeology..it is an incremental process: things learned by trial and error..when the element of continuous inter-action is removed..is there some perception mutation??? With the advent of cyber knowledge and the plethora of information that is made available it seems to me there is just too much..When a parent is telling his child to get ready for bed and yet he/she is texting throughout the dialogue: what is the message they are being sent??? I have no judgement on this but often wonder how the assimilation plays out..A young child can grasp a foreign language with rapid speed before the age of 5....so maybe all of this is just another language.. I do know I notice a difference between our daughter and son who are 5 years apart..She did not incorporate the computer until high school and he was using the computer at 5.. In retrospect any person born after 1985 ushered in the cyber umbrella..Time will tell.. In general I find the connectedness and possibility of cyber communication a miracle: it is our never ending story..The graphic input alone is riveting..
I also love the molecular ability to connect with random text..we live in a kaleidescopic world.
Cooked a puree today: cut up equal portions of parsnip,carrot,yellow squash,turnip and 1/2 a white onion ..These I simmered until tender..As they cooled I whrrrrr them in the Cuisineart.adding a bit of the cooking broth to keep the consistancy moist...Beautiful color...
Enjoy the day.............

No comments:

Post a Comment